November 25, 2011

0 Lincoln Cathedral

Lincoln Cathedral is beautiful.  I just want to start with that, to try and explain why there are thirty-eight pictures over two posts for you.  Lincoln Cathedral is the most beautiful church I've ever seen. Granted, I'm quite partial to the architectural style of medieval religious houses, and stained glass gets me all sorts of giddy, so I may be slightly biased.  


The cathedral is visible for miles as you approach the city.  This was, of course, intentional, as it served as the center of religious, social, and to some degree, political life during its heyday.  The church to the left is the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, which is believed to have originally stood where the cathedral now stands.  The current church was begun in the late 13th century.

The whole looming thing is effective, yes?

I need to do some research and find out the reason for the multiple arches over the doors. 
The cathedral was commissioned by William the Conquerer and was first consecrated in 1092.

See what I mean? 


Stained glass is even beautiful when it's not visible. 

Yep.  I could live here.


The cathedral was damaged twice in the 12th century, by fire and earthquake.
The central tower collapsed in the mid-13th century, but was rebuilt and was considered the tallest building in the world from the late 14th century until the central tower's spires blew down in 1549.



There is a labyrinth on the floor under the tower.  Paul and Reece walked it, whether for penance or curiosity I'm not sure!

While we were there a school group was rehearsing for a choral performance. 

I plan to have a doorway identical to this one someday.

This window is known as the "Dean's Eye". It was recently restored.


I'll have some double-arch bench seats, too.  In my house.  That will strangely resemble a medieval cathedral.



You can't really see him, but the famous Lincoln Imp is in this image- in fact, Paul's staring right at him.  I couldn't get closer, as a small service started and pictures weren't allowed due to disruption.


Stained glass shining onto a wooden bridge. 


We're planning to get back to Lincoln, and it's not that far, so I will take time on that visit to walk around the outside of the cathedral and hopefully get on a guided tour of the interior.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I can't wait to read your comment!

Next Post Previous Post Home